Tooth enamel is one of the hardest substances in the human body. However, this doesn’t mean that it’s indestructible. There is a lot that can happen to the smile that might require the assistance of an emergency dentist. If you are interested in learning about ways to protect your smile from damage, read on!
What Are Some Hazards That Can Impact My Oral Health?
To protect your teeth and help your smile last a lifetime, consider these tips:
- DO NOT open soda cans, bottles, or packaging with your teeth, as this can significantly increase the risk of damage
- DO be careful to avoid extremely hard foods that could crack natural tooth enamel
- DO NOT participate in high-impact, contact sports without the use of a mouth guard. A mouth guard is custom-made for patients to wear to protect their teeth from damage.
- DO visit the dentist regularly, as tooth damage can occur without patients even knowing it. Many of these problems can be spotted quickly during a routine evaluation
- DON’T ignore conditions such as bruxism, which can cause damage to the smile from clenching and grinding of the teeth
- DO be careful when wearing mouth jewelry, as they can pose several hazards such as cracked or chipped teeth when they become loose
- DON’T wait until damage occurs, and instead be proactive about caring for the teeth and gums
Damaged teeth can be both functionally and cosmetically problematic. If your teeth become badly broken or worn, you may experience discomfort or sensitivity when chewing, or when biting into hot or cold food. Not only that, you may be embarrassed to smile if you have a broken or missing tooth.
As experienced dentists, we know that accidents occur despite your best efforts. If you have damaged a tooth, consult our dentists about fixing it. Dental crowns, tooth bonding, and fillings may all be options for restoring the health and beauty of your teeth.
Have You Experienced Damage To Your Smile?
If you have chipped, cracked, broken, or otherwise damaged a tooth, the experienced dentists at Flatrock Family Dentistry are here to help. To schedule an appointment, please call our experienced team in Greenville, SC, at 864-297-5268.