As a New Year arrives, are you wondering how you can up your dental hygiene game? Below we review the basics of keeping your gums and teeth in tip-top shape.
- Consider switching to an electric toothbrush, if you haven’t already. These toothbrushes automate some of the process, making it easier and more convenient to brush your teeth. An electric toothbrush also offers precision, because the bristles clean and rotate in the same manner, every time you brush your teeth.
- Use gentle, circular motions when you brush. You need only apply the lightest pressure to your teeth to clean them properly. Hard scrubbing is not only no more effective, it actually has a detrimental effect on your enamel. Too much force will wear down the protective layer of enamel. So use only light pressure in gentle circular motions across the front surfaces, back surfaces and chewing surfaces of the teeth.
- Floss once every day. Some people believe that flossing is not that important. But it is!
Flossing removes food debris and plaque from in between your teeth, where your toothbrush bristles can’t reach.
- Brush for two minutes each time. Brush your teeth for the duration of two full minutes, each time you brush. Some people find it helpful to set a timer or take a look at a clock.
- Remember that healthy eating is also good for your teeth. Drinking water – especially in place of soda – and avoiding excess sugar and sweets will promote good dental health, and prevent cavities.
- Schedule routine dental appointments. The cleanings and exams are really important to keeping dental plaque at bay. The bacteria in plaque are what leads to tooth decay. While your at-home hygiene also reduces plaque, the process isn’t complete without professional dental care.
Whatever your dental goals for 2021, we want to help you reach them. Our experienced dentists offer a wide array of services, including general and cosmetic dentistry. If you are ready to take the next step toward better dental health in 2021, please contact Flatrock Family Dentistry to arrange a consultation in Greenville, SC.