October is National Dental Hygiene Month! It’s a month to not only remember how important dental hygiene is, but also recognize the amazing work of dental hygienists across the country.
Perhaps the most obvious thing you know about dental hygienists is that they clean your teeth! While this is an incredibly important part of what they do, they also:
- Take x-rays
- Check your blood pressure
- Perform the initial assessment of your mouth and report anything they notice to the dentist
- Ask about any concerns you have so that those symptoms are brought to your dentist’s attention
- Talk to you about what you can do to improve your dental health, including hygiene and nutrition tips
- Create a welcoming, friendly environment for your visits to the office
We certainly want to take the opportunity to thank the hygienists and assistants at Flatrock Family Dentistry. The last couple years have been challenging for the whole country, including dental offices that rose to the occasion to double down on sanitization measures to slow the spread of COVID-19. Through it all, our dental hygienists have shown outstanding professionalism, skill, and attention to their patients. We hope you’ll come visit them soon.
Dental Hygiene Tips
It’s never a bad idea to revisit the basics when it comes to dental hygiene:
- Brush your teeth at least twice per day, for 2 minutes each time
- Floss once every day
- Visit the dentist for routine cleanings and checkups every 6 months (or as often as recommended by the dentist if you have any active dental problems)
- Drink more water and fewer sugary beverages
- Limit snacking between meals to reduce how often bacterial activity exposes your teeth to acid (the completely normal process by which cavities are formed)
- Avoid habits that are bad for your teeth, including chewing on ice cubes and tearing open packages with your teeth
Each person’s dental needs are a little different. We look forward to providing personalized recommendations when you visit our office for dental care.
It’s a Great Time to Achieve Your Dental Goals
If you’re ready for your next dental appointment or want to schedule a consultation to discuss your dental goals, please call the team at Flatrock Family Dentistry in Greenville at 864-297-5268. We look forward to answering your questions and arranging your visit.