Fear of the dentist is one of the most common reasons adults neglect their dental health. One in five adults has not seen a dentist within the last five years.
Failing to visit us for regular cleanings and other dental services puts you at risk of infection, tooth decay and gum disease. With sedation dentistry, we make it easy for patients with dental anxiety to get the treatment they need.
What Is Sedation Dentistry?
Sedation dentistry involves the use of medication to calm patients before and during treatment. It can be used in all types of situations, from routine cleanings and cavity fillings to more invasive dental procedures.
In addition to relieving dental anxiety, sedation can help patients successfully overcome:
- Phobias caused by previous dental experiences
- The need for multiple procedures or extensive dental work
- Extremely sensitive teeth and gums
- A low pain tolerance
- A strong gag reflex
Since there are different types and levels of medication, sedation dentistry is generally safe for men and women of all ages. Patients who are obese, have sleep apnea or have other medical conditions should talk with our team about their options.
Sedation Options at Flatrock Family Dentistry
Dr. Rouse or Dr. Crosland will ask about your medical history before advising you on a sedative option. They may also ask why you’re seeking sedation dentistry to determine an appropriate dose; patients who are tremendously nervous about treatment often require stronger levels of sedation.
We offer the following forms of sedation at Flatrock Family Dentistry:
- Nitrous oxide: Also known as laughing gas, nitrous oxide is the mildest form we offer and often recommended for children. It’s combined with oxygen and administered in a mask placed over your nose. The effects of nitrous oxide wear off quickly after treatment.
- Oral conscious sedation: This is a stronger option than nitrous oxide and administered as a pill taken before your visit. Oral conscious sedation is more potent, so its effects can linger. Arrange for someone to drive you home after your appointment.
- IV sedation: This is the strongest form we offer and generally reserved for patients with extreme dental anxiety or patients undergoing oral surgery. IV sedation is administered intravenously through your arm, and its effects will linger. A loved one should drive you home and watch over you for several hours.
Patients who’ve received laughing gas or oral sedation will be conscious but relaxed during their visit. IV sedation puts patients in a deep sleep, but they should wake easily once their appointment is complete. During your treatment, we will monitor your vitals to ensure your comfort and safety.
Your Greenville Sedation Dentists
Flatrock Family Dentistry has been serving the community for more than 30 years. Our team understands that a dentist appointment can be a frightening experience for many of our patients.
Dr. Rouse and Dr. Crosland take the time to get to know each patient who visits our office. Before you undergo any treatment, you can trust that you’ll know who is performing your care.
You deserve a healthy, beautiful smile without fear getting in your way. We provide you with a friendly, welcoming setting where you feel comfortable seeking general or cosmetic dental services.
Schedule Your Next Dental Appointment
Call 864-297-5268 to schedule a dental appointment at our office. We proudly serve patients in the Greenville, Five Forks and Greer communities of South Carolina.