Tooth wear is a fairly common yet damaging condition that our dentists at Flatrock Family Dentistry can diagnose and treat. When your teeth begin to wear down, they can not only affect the appearance of your smile but also make it easier to develop cavities, gum disease, and other oral problems. We welcome you to learn more about our tooth wear treatment in Greenville, South Carolina, by calling our office at 864-774-0758. Dr. Rouse and Dr. Crosland are happy to answer any questions you may have.
Tooth wear is a condition referring to the loss of tooth substance by means other than cavities or trauma. In most cases, tooth wear is caused by:
- Erosion: irreversible loss of tooth structure due to acids, such as those found in foods or from acid reflux.
- Abrasion: tooth loss from mechanical actions, such as brushing the teeth, that often effects the premolars and canines.
- Attrition: the progressive loss of tooth structure from grinding opposing teeth.
Depending on the cause and extent of your tooth wear, our dentists may recommend different treatments. Some of the most common ways to treat tooth wear include:
- Improving oral hygiene habits and limiting the consumption of highly acidic foods.
- Dental bonding: using a tooth-colored resin, our dentists can restore the missing tooth structure and help protect the remaining tooth surface from damage.
- Dental crowns and veneers: if there is extensive damage, crowns and veneers can restore the natural shape and full function of your teeth.
- Night guards: if your tooth wear is caused by attrition, our dentists may create a customized night guard to protect your teeth and prevent further damage.
For more information about tooth wear and how to treat it, we welcome you to call or visit our practice today. We are here to help keep your smile healthy and happy.