Dental Fillings Dentist Serving Greenville, Simpsonville, Taylors, Greer, Mauldin & Nearby Areas Of South Carolina
Whether it’s a cavity or you chip or crack a tooth, it’s never a good time to need a filling. You have to contend with tooth pain while finding a time to get to the dentist. And, depending on the location of the cavity, chip, or crack, the cosmetic impact on your smile may be unavoidable.
Many patients expect unsightly metal when they think of dental fillings, but advances in materials make it possible to repair cavities, cracks, chips, and other damage. Flatrock Family Dentistry provides multiple restoration options that balance aesthetics with the functional goal of repairing your tooth.
If you have a cavity or damaged one or more teeth, Flatrock Family Dentistry is here for you. Call our office in Greenville, South Carolina, at 864-297-5268 today. Our dentists welcome patients from Five Forks, Simpsonville, and neighboring communities.
What Are My Options for Fillings?
For many years, the go-to material for fillings has been metal amalgam. Some dentists offer gold fillings, but the most common option in modern times is a combination of silver, mercury, and other metals.
These fillings are durable and effective at repairing cracked, chipped, and fractured teeth. However, there are downsides to metal amalgam that many patients want to avoid:
- Mercury is a concern: Through simple wear and tear, metal amalgam fillings break down over time, releasing small amounts of mercury vapor that can cause symptoms in patients with mercury allergies or sensitivities
- Significant prep: In order to place an amalgam filling, the dentist has to remove healthy tooth structure to make room for the filling and allow for expansions
- Instability: Exposure to varying temperatures causes metal amalgam to expand and contract; this can damage the tooth over time
- Aesthetics: Metal amalgam lacks luster and doesn’t look like the natural tooth; if the filling is placed in your smile line, you may feel self-conscious about its prominent appearance
At Flatrock Family Dentistry, we exclusively use composite, or tooth-colored fillings.
We use this material to repair small cavities or cracks and often use it to replace small silver fillings that are leaking or have cracked. These fillings blend in naturally, and because they are bonded to the teeth with strong adhesives, they actually help strengthen the teeth.
What Are Tooth-Colored Fillings?
Composite fillings are made from a durable resin. To prepare for the filling, your dentist will examine the tooth. If decay is present, he will remove it and prepare the surface for placement of the filling material.
Dental composite is applied to the damaged portion of the tooth in layers. Once the layers fill in the empty space, the composite will be hardened in place with a special curing light. Your dentist will then examine his work, adjust the filling so no excess material is present, and polish it to a lifelike shine.
In addition to the cosmetic advantages, other benefits of white fillings include:
- Better support for the tooth: Dental resin actually bonds with the tooth structure, making it stronger; the resin material also doesn’t change shape due to temperature fluctuations
- Limited preparation: Unlike their metal counterparts, tooth-colored fillings don’t require significant removal of healthy tooth structure
- Safer material: Dental resin contains no mercury, limiting negative health impacts from wear and tear
In the event that you need more than a filling to repair one or more teeth, our dentists also provide natural-looking crowns and other restorations.
Contact Flatrock Family Dentistry to Fix Your Smile
When you visit Flatrock Family Dentistry, our dentists and the entire staff are dedicated to making sure you’re comfortable and understand the options available for maintaining your dental health and improving your smile.
Schedule your white filling appointment today by calling 864-297-5268 if you need to repair one or more teeth.